- This event has passed.
MALAYSIA – TECHNICAL WRITING FOR PROFESSIONALS (7 – 8 May)
May 7, 2019 @ 9:00 am - 6:00 pm
7 – 8 May 2019 (2 Days) | 16 PDUs
9.00am to 6.00pm
As a professional / technical specialist, you will need to write memos, e-mails, proposals, reports, scientific papers, and electronic messages. Writing is perhaps the most important form of communication in which you will convey your ideas to managers, other engineers, and customers. Your writing skills will therefore determine how successful you are as a specialist, perhaps even more so than your technical expertise!
This workshop will facilitate you to enhance your skills to write more effectively in the workplace. It has been specifically designed to provide a step-by-step guide to document and communicate your message with clarity, confidence and high impact. Remember, you may not get second chance to make first impression, thus good technical writing / communication matters!
This course qualifies for 16 Contact Hours of formal project management education.
At ePM Training Services we are fully committed to delivering outstanding practical, memorable learning experiences for all participants, enabling you to attain your individual and company goals, increase productivity and, of course, have fun in the process.
At the end of this action-based workshop, participants will be able to:
- Identify the correct method of financial assessment for a project and understand the formula, method of calculation and analysis of results.
- Identify types of cost, definition and financial terminologies used in a project.
- Create a total project scope in a form of Work Breakdown Structure (WBS) and project schedule by using Critical Path method.
- Create a short and long term project costing and financial requirements.
- Perform project cost monitoring by using Earn Value Management (EMV) techniques and S-Curve analysis
- Perform analysis and post project assessment in terms of profit and loss (PNL)
The course will be conducted in a highly interactive environment. Participants need to join in various interactive workshop sessions, including projects involving brainstorming and working on work-related topics to produce a great technical report where each group will present to the rest of the class. In addition, there are also numerous individual activities to help participants improve their writing skills overall and the readability levels of their writing.
- The value of good technical writing
- How can technical writing help us?
Module 1: Value of Technical Writing Skills
- What is Technical Writing?
- Communication Continuum
- Technical Writing vs. Essays
- Five Components of Technical Writing
Module 2: Five Powerful Traits of Technical Writing
- Clarity – The Power of Being Clear (Who, When, What, Where, Why, How)
- Accessibility – Optimizing the Space You Have
- Conciseness – Less Words, Bigger Impact
- Accuracy – Grammatically Correct
- Determining Reader Profile / Audience Recognition – The Unique Reader
Module 3: Applications of Technical Writing
- Inquiry Letters & E-mails
- Proposals & Reports
- Job Descriptions
- PowerPoint Presentations
- Follow-up / Thank you Replies
Module 4: Technical Writing Assignments
- Inquiry Letters & E-mails – Opening & Maintaining Lines of Communication
- Memos – Giving Clear Information / Directives
- Proposals & Reports – Pitching Ideas, Executing Work, & Progress Updates
- Job Descriptions – Finding The Right Project Team
- Instructions – Manuals for the Future
- PowerPoint Presentations – Providing Messages / Pitches / Updates in Visual Form
Conclusions & Recommendations
- Understand Your Audience Better
- Soft Skills Communication
- Read More to Understand Better
- Tips & Tricks
- Personal Action Plan
- Group exercises will be created throughout Modules 3 and 4, to enable participants to actively brainstorm & write effectively.
- Exercises will be created to suit the nature and industry of the participants. Exercises may vary depending of background of participants.