9 & 10 March 2023 | 16 Contact Hours | TWFP
Virtual Training | 9.00 am to 6.00 pm
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
As a professional / technical specialist, you will need to write memos, e-mails, proposals, reports, scientific papers, and electronic messages. Writing is perhaps the most important form of communication in which you will convey your ideas to managers, other engineers, and customers. Your writing skills will therefore determine how successful you are as a specialist, perhaps even more so than your technical expertise!
This workshop will facilitate you to enhance your skills to write more effectively in the workplace. It has been specifically designed to provide a step-by-step guide to document and communicate your message with clarity, confidence and high impact. Remember, you may not get second chance to make first impression, thus good technical writing / communication matters!
- The value of good technical writing
- How can technical writing help us?
- Module 1: Value of Technical Writing Skills
- What is Technical Writing?
- Communication Continuum
- Technical Writing vs. Essays
- Five Components of Technical Writing
- Module 2: Five Powerful Traits of Technical Writing
- Clarity – The Power of Being Clear (Who, When, What, Where, Why, How)
- Accessibility – Optimizing the Space You Have
- Conciseness – Less Words, Bigger Impact
- Accuracy – Grammatically Correct
- Determining Reader Profile / Audience Recognition – The Unique Reader
- Module 3: Applications of Technical Writing
- Inquiry Letters & E-mails
- Proposals & Reports
- Job Descriptions
- PowerPoint Presentations
- Follow-up / Thank you Replies
- Module 4: Technical Writing Assignments
- Inquiry Letters & E-mails – Opening & Maintaining Lines of Communication
- Memos – Giving Clear Information / Directives
- Proposals & Reports – Pitching Ideas, Executing Work, & Progress Updates
- Job Descriptions – Finding The Right Project Team
- Instructions – Manuals for the Future
- PowerPoint Presentations – Providing Messages / Pitches / Updates in Visual Form
- Conclusions & Recommendations
- Understand Your Audience Better
- Soft Skills Communication
- Read More to Understand Better
- Tips & Tricks
- Personal Action Plan
The course will be conducted in a highly interactive environment. Participants need to join in various interactive workshop sessions, including projects involving brainstorming and working on work-related topics to produce a great technical report where each group will present to the rest of the class. In addition, there are also numerous individual activities to help participants improve their writing skills overall and the readability levels of their writing.